14 Great Topic Ideas For Website Content Writing
Well-written content will engage your site visitors and will bring in new traffic from search engines. The ‘Holy Grail’ is for people to think your content is so good, that they want to share it with other people on their website, newsletter, Google+, Facebook and other social media outlets.
It’s not about publishing vanilla, boring drive online - the aim is to really engage with people. Creating outstanding content requires creative thought and commitment. Here are some ideas that will fire up your imagination.
1. Business Lessons. Talk about lessons that you have learned in your industry.
2. Useful Tools. Review tools that you use in your life and business, and explain how those tools are used, create a video or promote an in-house tool and explain its benefits. You can also talk about how a tool you use every day has saved you time and money.
3. Insightful Lists. Nearly everyone loves a useful list, with subjects like, “Top 5 Reasons to…” etc. Hey, watch out, you’re reading one now!
4. Common Problems. Ponder common industry roadblocks people come against, or questions that customers or others ask. Providing helpful answers to typical questions can be a gold mine of opportunity to write content that you target audience will love.
5. Industry News. Provide opinion pieces about the industry that you know will interest others. For instance, if you are in the property management business, then you could comment about mortgage rates as they occur.
6. How-To Tutorials. Another area people love is “how-to” content. You could write about a 5-step process that shows people how to do a useful task, or interview an expert and write about their insights.
7. Company Culture And Values. What it is like to be part of your team and how have your values helped build relationships?
8. Industry Events. Are there events or conferences coming up? Or can you write about what happened at the events after they occur?
9. Industry Research. Talk about the research that is going on in your industry. Make a prediction about how a new policy or technology will impact the future.
10. Promotional Content. Host a contest and give away a new product, tickets to an event, or a free consultation. Give updates on how the promotion is going and celebrate the subsequent winners.
11. Seasonal Variations. At special times of the year such as Christmas or Valentine’s Day, talk about how that affects you and your business or what you do to celebrate.
12. Re-purpose Existing Content. Once topics are posted or published, you can turn blog posts into videos, or you can take an old popular post and give a modern update or review after a period of time has elapsed.
13. Incoming Search Terms. Check your website’s incoming search terms in Google Webmaster Tools and write further about the queries searchers on your site are entering. This is generally a sure bet because you know your target audience is interested in these topic areas.
14. Provocative Material. From time to time you might contemplate an idea that polarises people. Do you have any strong beliefs or opinions on things going on in your industry? As we all know, the media loves a bit of controversy, so this can also be a great way to broaden the coverage of your content.
We suggest you use these topics for blog posts, newsletters, FAQs, video updates and the like. Then be sure to share and promote your great content via your social media channels. We hope you found some of these great topic ideas useful.